Thursday, October 26, 2006

Paolini and Eddings

Okay. Maybe I am way behind on this but how could no one at at little publishing house called Random see that Christopher Paolini was basically borrowing directly from David and Leigh Eddings oh and someone called George Lucas. BTW, I am a HUGE Eddings fan (David I would love to hear from you)!!!

I am currently on page 107 (out of 497 pages) of Eragon. I am seriously considering taking it back to the Library unfinished you see I read this already. At first I thought "huh a blue shiny stone okay ... a bit like the Orb of Aldur" of Eddings' Belgariad. I kept on reading. "Hmm Eragaon (sounds a bit like Garion (the Hero of the Belgariad) lives with his Uncle Owen, I mean Garrow, very similar to the way that Garion was raised by his Aunt Polgara also on an isolated farm. " I warily continued Eragon and his family went to town and enjoyed a winter day of shopping and selling and entertainment by the local storyteller who tells a story of dragons and riders the kind that is more history than story "wait this is very similar to Belgarath the storyteller's visit to Garion's farm during the midwinter Holiday of Erastide. Moving on ...the stone turns out to be a Dragon's Egg and Eragon finds himself with a white mark on his right palm. Oh wait, Garion's mark is silvery - big difference.

I probably will continue to read it because I am a little invested and I want to see what else is stolen...I mean borrowed...anyway I guess I will keep reading but I won't enjoy it. If you are a fan I really suggest reading Eddings' series. If you are interested in other peoples discussions on Paolini and "borrowing" I suggest a post by Princess Stefania at the link below (blogchaat.com/2006/10/01/paolini-and-plagiarism).

If anyone has information on any response by Eddings on this matter I would love to hear about it.

I would love to know what you think.

Jo

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home